WHAT IS BUSINESS EDUCATION AT SOUTH SENECA HIGH SCHOOL?
Business education is a curriculum encompassing such diverse areas of study as Accounting, Law, Career Education, Commercial Art and Design, Communications and Technical Writing, Consumer Education, Entrepreneurship, Human Relations, Marketing, and Microcomputer Applications.
The primary goal of business education is to provide students with a strong foundation in employment skills. But beyond teaching occupational skills, the business program teaches students about business, about the expectations of the business environment, and about how businesses fit into our economy.
Incorporated throughout the total program are efforts to:
- Refine communication skills of reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
- Develop critical thinking, reasoning, and decision-making skills.
- Improve and refine interpersonal skills.
- Increase proficiency with a variety of computer hardware/software most commonly used in business including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, the Internet, and others.
- Make cross-curricular connections between core subject content and occupational applications.
WHO CAN BENEFIT FROM BUSINESS EDUCATION COURSES?
Business education courses can help students to
- Improve family life competencies in communication and finance (including saving, checking, investing, budgeting, and goal setting).
- Prepare to enter a career immediately after graduation in a diversity of occupations.
- Prepare for part-time employment while attending college.
- Acquire background knowledge for college programs in administration, management, accounting, law, or liberal arts.
- Understand the business aspects of many careers.
- Make intelligent decisions as consumers, workers, and citizens.
ABOUT BUSINESS EDUCATION STAFF
Graduated Fairport High School, 1988
Graduated University at Buffalo, 1994
BFA Graphic Design
Graduated Nazareth College, 1997
MS Elementary Education
Third Grade Teacher, 1997-1998
Lansing Elementary School
Business Teacher, 1999-2003
Ithaca High School
Business Teacher, 2003-Present
South Seneca H.S.
Matthew T. Barkee
Graduated from South Seneca High School, 1988
Graduated from SUNY Delhi, 1990
AAS Hotel Restaurant Management
Graduated from Johnson & Wales University, Providence Rhode Island
AS Hotel Restaurant Management, 1991
BS Hotel Restaurant Management, 1992
General Manager, 1992-1997
Quality Dining Inc. Chilis Restaurant Division,
Graduated from SUNY Oswego, 2001
Business Teacher, 2001-Present
South Seneca High School
BUSINESS DEPARTMENT LINKS